[lopsa-tech] Asset management
flojeepxj via LOPSA Tech Discussion list
2018-06-30 01:46:34 UTC
Hey all,

Out of curiosity, what do you use as asset management, IP address management and active directory change management?

Options would be bought software, in-house or cloud based, self developed software, excel spread sheets or simply nothing at all.

If I forgot something, just add it.

I personally multiple times worked with special solutions that have been developed before me, solutions like cmdbuild and I even wrote systems in .net and not to long ago a pretty big one in access that I might generalize a bit more and provide as free open source (may be).

Starting this just out of curiosity and because I many times came across networks where this is just neglected and I eventually put something in place.

The reason those companies didn't have a good solution was often that software for it was simply expensive and often didn't fit from a simple and usable IT professional point of view. I am curious if this really a common issue or if I was just unlucky.

Regards and have a nice weekend
Florian Rossmark
---
Skylar Thompson
2018-06-30 17:30:30 UTC
We're using a home-grown system (actually, on our second one now) - we've
looked at off-the-shelf systems but none of them are as featureful or
flexible as what we're looking for. The first attempt we had was pretty
frustrating to use, but the second attempt has been a lot more successful.
I think if you are committed to following common software design
principles, it's at least more likely to be successful: talk to the people
who are/will be using the tool; have a build pipeline, test suite, and
packages that can be installed outside of production; write documentation for
both developers and end-users; and have loosely-coupled services wherever
possible.
Jeff Wasilko
Gareth Tupper
2018-07-03 16:44:09 UTC
+1 racktables

[...]

This electronic mail transmission contains information from Warner Pacific Insurance Services that may be confidential or privileged. Such information is solely for the intended recipient, and use by any other party is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this message, its contents or any attachments is prohibited. Any wrongful interception of this message is punishable as a Federal Crime. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone (800) 801-2300 or by electronic mail at ***@warnerpacific.com.

[PHI] - Please note that this email is being sent securely as it may contain attachments or content that include PHI (Protected Health Information), PII (Personally Identifiable Information) or other sensitive information.
---
Roberts, Scott E.

Florian Rossmark
2018-07-03 13:35:22 UTC
Always had the experience that Spiceworks is getting really slow if you have a more complex system or simply over time due to a lot of systems and changes. What's your experience with that?

________________________________
[...]

LOPSA - Home<http://lopsa.org/>
lopsa.org
The League of Professional System Administrators (LOPSA) is a nonprofit corporation with members throughout the world. Our mission is to advance the practice of system administration; to support, recognize, educate, and encourage its practitioners; and to serve the public through education and outreach on system administration issues.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LOPSA Tech Discussion list" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/8de280da-5293-41a1-94fc-2290bf9741d1%40lopsa.org.

---
---
Roberts, Scott E.
2018-07-03 18:12:50 UTC
They’ve made significant performance improvements since version 7 was released. It depends on what you consider “more complex” and “a lot of systems”. I didn’t have an issue with approximately 300 systems (active, inactive, mostly Linux and a handful of Windows systems) and that was back on version 6. I don’t know, maybe 4000 tracked software packages?

I was particularly fond of the Cisco configuration backups, and be alerted when the running config didn’t match the startup config. Also, being proactively notified of when to order toner based on historical patterns. Oh, and tracking down when software was installed when an end-user claimed “nothing changed” on the system but I can clearly see when they installed or attempted to install WeatherBug. Heh.

Finally, being alerted when service contracts were close to expiring. The list goes on. No performance issues.

Two things: stay patched and make sure your Spiceworks server is running from an SSD.

From: Florian Rossmark <***@frjsr.com>
Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 09:35
To: "Roberts, Scott E." <***@jhuapl.edu>, "***@googlemail.com" <***@googlemail.com>, LOPSA Tech Discussion list <***@lopsa.org>