[lopsa-tech] Basic Linux training
Sarah Kaye
2017-06-28 14:58:32 UTC
I'm looking at getting an employee with a Windows background up to speed on
Linux systems. We have mostly CentOS with a couple of Ubuntu boxes. I'm
eyeing the Linux Foundation courses: anybody have an opinion? Alternatives?
We can pay some (the LF courses are $299/ea) but not heaps.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah
---
Jared Moore
2017-06-28 15:23:44 UTC
I found that the Intro to Linux course from the Linux Foundation was a
great starter course for inexperienced individuals. I had a couple of my
new hires take it and report that they found it to be a great introduction.
The bonus is that it is free.

https://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses/system-administration-training/introduction-to-linux

Jared
Post by Sarah Kaye
I'm looking at getting an employee with a Windows background up to speed
on Linux systems. We have mostly CentOS with a couple of Ubuntu boxes. I'm
eyeing the Linux Foundation courses: anybody have an opinion? Alternatives?
We can pay some (the LF courses are $299/ea) but not heaps.
Thanks in advance,
Sarah
---
lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/CANHz-NGzoNCJ6KXjJ1akOEtaK9M7YmuH21f
P7ok2p7r7%3DQg%2B8Q%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/a/lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/CANHz-NGzoNCJ6KXjJ1akOEtaK9M7YmuH21fP7ok2p7r7%3DQg%2B8Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
---
Steven Miano
2017-06-28 16:14:58 UTC
I'd agree with the introduction course being a good 'getting familiar' type
of course.

The exams are $300 each, but the training from what I recall is usually a
bit more (unless you just mean access to the training that comes up for
sale at a reduced price from time to time - I want to say ~$500).

The LFCS was a good exam, and the LFCE was a tough one - highly recommend
them both, and I'm also a current RHCSA/RHCE.

Best of luck!

~Steven
Post by Sarah Kaye
I'm looking at getting an employee with a Windows background up to speed
on Linux systems. We have mostly CentOS with a couple of Ubuntu boxes. I'm
eyeing the Linux Foundation courses: anybody have an opinion? Alternatives?
We can pay some (the LF courses are $299/ea) but not heaps.
Thanks in advance,
Sarah
---
psa.org/d/msgid/tech/CANHz-NGzoNCJ6KXjJ1akOEtaK9M7YmuH21fP7o
k2p7r7%3DQg%2B8Q%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/a/lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/CANHz-NGzoNCJ6KXjJ1akOEtaK9M7YmuH21fP7ok2p7r7%3DQg%2B8Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
---
lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/CABgmZYQTLg%3DywRnwoRaF6GG-b%
3Dz5omTGFuaH_tvsG31DSV_HaQ%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/a/lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/CABgmZYQTLg%3DywRnwoRaF6GG-b%3Dz5omTGFuaH_tvsG31DSV_HaQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
--
Miano, Steven M.
http://stevenmiano.com
Gilbert Wilson

Sarah Kaye
2017-07-06 16:02:52 UTC
Thanks for the responses, all. I also got a little-r reply with a
recommendation for Linux Academy.

Sarah

ps - in case anybody else is interested in the content, I'll save you the
effort of copy-and-pasting yourself :-). Here's my summary:

Start here:

Linux Foundation Intro to Linux, free
https://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses/system-administration-training/introduction-to-linux

Follow up options:

Linux Academy: $19/mo, $228/yr
Various certifcation-focused courses, e.g. RHCSA, RHCE, LPI; not seeing
dates on the classes, but comments are current.
https://linuxacademy.com/

Linux Foundation Essentials of System Administration, Networking and
Administration: class only $299/ea, class+exam $499/ea (current discount)
1 year access. Not seeing dates but website promises current content.
https://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses/system-administration-training

Alexey’s DIY training program: guide is free, materials have cost.
http://verticalsysadmin.com/blog/training-program-to-make-a-novice-system-administrator/
Post by Gilbert Wilson
I was trolling around the Redhat subreddit recently and a few threads
mentioned Linux Academy as a useful resource for training. The cost is in
your range for "unlimited" access to their curriculum that includes Redhat
and LPI certs (as well as others). They include a lot of labs and the
virtual machines needed for study. If it delivers on the marketing it looks
like a reasonable and competitive alternative to Redhat and LPI training
classes.
Post by Gilbert Wilson
Gil
Sent from my iPhone
I'm looking at getting an employee with a Windows background up to speed
on Linux systems. We have mostly CentOS with a couple of Ubuntu boxes. I'm
eyeing the Linux Foundation courses: anybody have an opinion? Alternatives?
We can pay some (the LF courses are $299/ea) but not heaps.
Post by Gilbert Wilson
Thanks in advance,
Sarah
---