[lopsa-tech] puppet r10k foreman
Edward Ned Harvey (lopser)
2017-09-12 13:37:56 UTC
I am wondering if y'all know something I don't:

Please contradict these statements, if you know any of it to be incorrect: My understanding is that r10k automatically creates/updates puppet environments based in git branches. If you're using puppet enterprise, then Code Manager automatically imports those changes into their GUI, but if you're using foreman, you have to manually click on Import Environment.

Right now, we're using a git hook, jenkins job, and bash script, to do all of the above, without r10k, including using the foreman CLI to automatically import the environment changes in foreman. (We're using hammer as the foreman CLI, but apparently you can also use foreman-rake). We're planning major upgrades to the puppet ecosystem (new servers, new OSes, upgrades to everything) and one of the decisions is whether to stick with our existing scripts or switch to r10k. We use a mixed ENC environment, meaning, some of our systems are managed 100% via code, and some of our systems have users that apply class changes via the foreman GUI.

Any opinions or experience? How to integrate r10k with foreman? I've already googled everything I can find, and it seems we can either stick with our existing scripts (which manage puppet environments, and also integrate with foreman) or we can use some new scripts which offload puppet environment management to r10k, but our scripts still need to handle the integration with foreman. I want to see if you know something I missed.
---
Atom Powers
2017-09-12 13:59:52 UTC
Ahoy Edward,

It has been a while since I managed a puppet environment so things may have
changed. Back then puppet-librarian was widely considered a better
alternative to r10k and was better supported by the tools I was using,
including Foreman.

The purpose of either is to manage the set of modules, and versions of
those modules, that are installed.
https://groups.google.com/a/lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/BLUPR04MB370CE1EC8A28EA089485379A3690%40BLUPR04MB370.namprd04.prod.outlook.com
<https://groups.google.com/a/lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/BLUPR04MB370CE1EC8A28EA089485379A3690%40BLUPR04MB370.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
--
Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--