[lopsa-tech] Manually ejecting an LT06 tape from a half-height IBM drive
Jonathan
2017-06-12 15:03:34 UTC
Hi

I need to remove an LT06 cartridge from an IBM half-height FCAL drive,
so I can RMA the drive. We have a policy that no media leaves our premises.

The drive has been removed from a library, and putting it back in to the
library isn't an option. There's no standard power connector on the
drive, so it needs to me a manual ejection.

There are slot-headed screws on the top of the drive, and I believe the
tape is wound back in to the cartridge. I just need to know how to
trigger the eject mechanism.

Many thanks,
Jonathan.
---
John Stoffel
2017-06-12 16:03:25 UTC
Jonathan> Hi
Jonathan> I need to remove an LT06 cartridge from an IBM half-height FCAL drive, so I can
Jonathan> RMA the drive.  We have a policy that no media leaves our premises.

Jonathan> The drive has been removed from a library, and putting it
Jonathan> back in to the library isn't an option.  There's no standard
Jonathan> power connector on the drive, so it needs to me a manual
Jonathan> ejection.

I think you're going to have to put it back in the library if you want
to get power to it. More details on the library might point to
another solution though.

Do you care about the media? If not, you might be able to extract it
and snip the leader off if it's stuck in there.

Jonathan> There are slot-headed screws on the top of the drive, and I
Jonathan> believe the tape is wound back in to the cartridge.  I just
Jonathan> need to know how to trigger the eject mechanism.

Look on the front of the drive, is there a pin hold visible? Like on
CDROM drives. If you google the drive model number, you might also be
able to find a service manual somewhere which will talk about issues
like this.

John
---
Jonathan
2017-06-12 16:27:29 UTC
Hi

I like the idea of asking the maintenance company for a certificate of
destruction. Thanks.

If I put it back in the library (Quantum Scaler) I cannot access the
eject button, otherwise I'd have tried that. The library itself cannot
eject the tape.

For other drive models/manufacturers, it seems there's often a worm
drive which you need to rotate to operate the eject mechanism, once the
tape is tensioned at the start of the cartridge. I can find online IBM
manuals for older drives, but not for the drive I have. The drive is
marked Type: LTO Ultrium 6-H.

Jonathan.
In the message dated: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 16:03:34 +0100,
The pithy ruminations from Jonathan on
=> Hi
=>
=> I need to remove an LT06 cartridge from an IBM half-height FCAL drive,
=> so I can RMA the drive. We have a policy that no media leaves our premises.
Interesting. I went through the same thing last week, with an IBM HH-FCAL
LTO6 drive.
I didn't find a way to eject the cartridge w/o removing anti-tamper
plastic from the drive and possibly causing damage (ie., buying the dead
drive, rather than RMA'ing it).
Our HIPAA policies have an allowance for this kind of thing, as part
of normal IT operations. I've sent the drive back to the vendor w. the
media still inside, and requested that the manufacturer return the media
or send us written certification of physical destruction.
=>
=> The drive has been removed from a library, and putting it back in to the
=> library isn't an option. There's no standard power connector on the
=> drive, so it needs to me a manual ejection.
=>
=> There are slot-headed screws on the top of the drive, and I believe the
=> tape is wound back in to the cartridge. I just need to know how to
=> trigger the eject mechanism.
I did twist the screws that were accessible on our drive, that that
wasn't enough to manually eject.
Let me know what you find out.
Thanks,
Mark
=>
=> Many thanks,
=> Jonathan.
€
--
Jonathan
---
Mike Robinson
2017-06-12 16:32:13 UTC
Not sure if this is an exact model match, but maybe it's enough t get you going.

http://youtu.be/MZD6qC2AQSk
Post by Jonathan
LTO Ultrium 6-H.
---
Jonathan
2017-06-12 17:14:27 UTC
Hi

It's the IBM equivalent of
http://youtu.be/MZD6qC2AQSk that I am missing.

Thanks,
Jonathan.
Post by Mike Robinson
Not sure if this is an exact model match, but maybe it's enough t get you going.
http://youtu.be/MZD6qC2AQSk
Post by Jonathan
LTO Ultrium 6-H.
---
'Craig Cook' via LOPSA Tech Discussion list
2017-06-12 17:26:46 UTC
Can you ask the company that is going to receive the RMA if it is ok to potentially mangle/destroy the drive to get the tape out?
If not, what instructions can they provide?

Craig
---
Skylar Thompson
2017-06-12 19:48:39 UTC
We have a number of HP LTO6 drives and we need to call in our FE to
extricate tapes that become stuck. If the tape itself is rewound
completely, then it seems he can jiggle the cartridge up and down and
eventually trigger the eject spring. If the tape is still on the drive
reel, though, he needs to disassemble the drive to remove the tape. I
imagine disassembly would void your support contract.

Skylar
Post by John Stoffel
Hi
I need to remove an LT06 cartridge from an IBM half-height FCAL drive, so
I can RMA the drive. We have a policy that no media leaves our premises.
The drive has been removed from a library, and putting it back in to the
library isn't an option. There's no standard power connector on the drive,
so it needs to me a manual ejection.
There are slot-headed screws on the top of the drive, and I believe the
tape is wound back in to the cartridge. I just need to know how to trigger
the eject mechanism.
Many thanks,
Jonathan.
---
lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/bcd644ad-1cbd-e1bd-b873-bd8a034f952a%40redigloo.org
<https://groups.google.com/a/lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/bcd644ad-1cbd-e1bd-b873-bd8a034f952a%40redigloo.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
---