[lopsa-tech] Jabber
Dave Close
2017-03-13 05:16:24 UTC
Does anyone have information about interoperability between Cisco Jabber
and other flavors, especially those available for Linux? Does Cisco have
any special features not otherwise available? (I presume it has a pretty
GUI but that's not important to me.)
--
Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA +1 714 434 7359
***@compata.com ***@alumni.caltech.edu
Charles Jones
2017-03-13 05:57:51 UTC
I use pidgin to connect to Cisco Jabber. It's been so long since I used the
actual cisco jabber client I don't even remember if it had an extra
features that I am missing (apparently not) :)
Post by Dave Close
Does anyone have information about interoperability between Cisco Jabber
and other flavors, especially those available for Linux? Does Cisco have
any special features not otherwise available? (I presume it has a pretty
GUI but that's not important to me.)
--
Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA +1 714 434 7359
"Moore's Law of Mad Science: Every eighteen months,
the minimum IQ necessary to destroy the world drops by one point."
-- Eliezer Yudkowsky
---
lopsa.org/d/msgid/tech/201703130516.v2D5GO4f004538%40dc7800.compata.com.
---
Edward Ned Harvey (lopser)
2017-03-13 11:02:54 UTC
Post by Dave Close
Does anyone have information about interoperability between Cisco Jabber
and other flavors, especially those available for Linux? Does Cisco have any
special features not otherwise available? (I presume it has a pretty GUI but
that's not important to me.)
We use cisco jabber at work, so if you have any questions about that, I can answer. But I don't know the others against which you are comparing, so I don't have an answer to your actual question...

One of the commonly used features, that I wouldn't necessarily assume was present on others, is the phone. Many people (including myself) opt not to have a desk phone, because having my desk phone number follow me in my laptop, and on my home laptop, is more convenient.
---
Dan Ritter
2017-03-13 11:06:38 UTC
Post by Dave Close
Does anyone have information about interoperability between Cisco Jabber
and other flavors, especially those available for Linux? Does Cisco have
any special features not otherwise available? (I presume it has a pretty
GUI but that's not important to me.)
As I understand it, Cisco Jabber was developed from or in parallel to the
original open source ejabber (erllang) implementation of XMPP. It lacks
many of the features subsequently written in to ejabberd and
prosody, including the multi-user conference room facility (aka
channels or rooms).

I could be wrong.

-dsr-
---
Edward Ned Harvey (lopser)
2017-03-14 12:48:01 UTC
Post by Dan Ritter
As I understand it, Cisco Jabber was developed from or in parallel to the
original open source ejabber (erllang) implementation of XMPP. It lacks many
of the features subsequently written in to ejabberd and prosody, including
the multi-user conference room facility (aka channels or rooms).
I could be wrong.
Cisco jabber does groups or rooms. We use it frequently.
---
Cat Okita
2017-03-13 13:50:16 UTC
Post by Dave Close
Does anyone have information about interoperability between Cisco Jabber
and other flavors, especially those available for Linux? Does Cisco have
any special features not otherwise available? (I presume it has a pretty
GUI but that's not important to me.)
IIRC, there are mulitple things going by the name 'Cisco Jabber'. Which
one of them do you mean?

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."
Dave Close
2017-03-13 14:56:50 UTC
Post by Dave Close
Does anyone have information about interoperability between Cisco Jabber
and other flavors, especially those available for Linux? Does Cisco have
any special features not otherwise available? (I presume it has a pretty
GUI but that's not important to me.)
IIRC, there are mulitple things going by the name 'Cisco Jabber'. Which
one of them do you mean?
This one:
<http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/jabber/index.html>.
If there are others by the same name, that seems very strange.
--
Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA +1 714 434 7359
***@compata.com ***@alumni.caltech.edu
We cause accidents. -- Nathaniel Borenstein
---
Cat Okita
2017-03-13 15:29:12 UTC
Post by Dave Close
Post by Dave Close
Does anyone have information about interoperability between Cisco Jabber
and other flavors, especially those available for Linux? Does Cisco have
any special features not otherwise available? (I presume it has a pretty
GUI but that's not important to me.)
IIRC, there are mulitple things going by the name 'Cisco Jabber'. Which
one of them do you mean?
<http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/jabber/index.html>.
If there are others by the same name, that seems very strange.
It's historical.

The short version is that Cisco bought Jabber Inc, who made Jabber XCP,
which is partly an implementation of XMPP -- but there's also 'cisco spark',
which doesn't talk to jabber at all.

... and Jabber XCP has limited (read: probably just chat) support for FOSS clients.

At any rate:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/corporate-strategy-office/acquisitions/jabberinc.html

and:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/jabber-extensible-communications-platform-xcp/jabber_faq.html

"Q: What is the difference between Jabber XCP and the open-source
version (jabberd)?
A: Jabber XCP is fully operational with and compatible with jabberd,
the Jabber open-source project server.

Jabber XCP, however, is a commercial-grade software platform for
highly extensible, reliable, and scalable performance. Jabber XCP
can scale to serve over a million users concurrently in a distributed
configuration.

Jabber XCP integrates with a wide range of organizational
infrastructures like directory services, databases, web portals,
and mobile devices. Get a full range of professional-level support
and services offerings, including custom support, development, and
integration."

[ ... ]

Q: Do open-source clients work with the Jabber XCP commercial server?
A: Yes, XMPP-based open-source clients can connect to Jabber XCP,
though they may lack some of the higher-level functionality offered
in production software from Jabber, Inc.